Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mamalates

No, this is not a group of Moms drinking lattes. Who's got an extra hand to hold a coffee drink??? After doing some research about diastasis (the abdominal separation) a friend suggested Mamalates. This class is basically a Pilate's class for new mothers, and...their babies. The "And their babies," portion is key. I would love to get a massage, go to the chiropractor, get acupuncture, go swimming, go to yoga, all the things I used to do for self care. My body is tied in knots, all the old ones from training, plus new ones from sitting hunched over while nursing and compensating for having zero core strength. But I can't bring Soren so I don't bother making the appointments. Don't get me wrong, I am not suffering from separation anxiety with my child, not yet anyway...we will re-visit this topic when I return to work, but there really is no easy way of bringing a baby to any of those arenas. If he sleeps...sure, great! But he most likely won't.

With the Mamalates class we bring our babies, crying or sleeping into the room. We squeeze into the small space on mats surrounded by balls, bands, and in between car seats. Some babies sleep, some lay on a blanket, some are carried by the instructor as she teaches - those are the lucky moms that get to participate in the movement for the whole class! Yesterday, during our second class, Soren was the first to start crying, "Yes!" which meant Wendy, the instructor, would carry and calm him bouncing on the ball as she taught. When he calmed she placed him back in his carrier. This didn't last so I took him out again and laid him on the floor next to a six week old little girl named, Ophelia. He was fascinated and I participated for another 10 minutes! While he cried, or nursed, I looked around the room. This is the last place I would have ever imagined myself. There were Moms and babies everywhere. All ages, sizes, and iterations of mother and child. It's so interesting to observe the bond between them and the manner of touch and expression that has already become their routine. It occurred to me that this was the important part of class. During the first class I attended, there were very few babies present. None of them were awake, except for Soren, so the instructor held him for the entire class. I was relieved and worked really hard engaging my core and moving those bands. I was killing it in that class. Yes folks (all two of you that read this, plus my Mom) "Killing it," now means six knee push-ups before I fall to the ground sweating. It's all relative.

Anyway, returning to my point. Yesterday, as I noticed the room begin to brim with babies I felt a stab of anxiety. Some of these other babies are bound to cry. Soren was awake. So it was just a matter of time before he started expressing his displeasure. Connecting the dots here...I'm not going to get my workout in today!! But while I nursed him for the second time in an hour and fifteen minute period that's when I noticed it. The reason I came to this class is not the only reason to be here. I looked down at Soren. He has this adorable habit of moving his little fingers as though he's directing the feeding session. His eyes, if open, look so dreamy and relaxed. It literally causes me to take a deep breath and wonder how I got so lucky. I am constantly amazed that someone as impatient, wound, and with the sometimes anxiety-ridden shark-like attitude of Move or die, can create such calm in a little person like Soren. It gives me hope.

So. I will pack up the little guy every week, sometimes twice a week, into his carrier. I will drive to the other side of town. I will endure his crying, screaming days and be thankful for his sleepy or happy days as I kill another workout. Because no matter what, I will be surrounded by women learning similar lessons about themselves. And the smiles we give each other across the room are more validating than any doctor, nurse, partner, Mom, or friend could match. We are all in it together for one hour and fifteen minutes. And that is worth so much more than the small amount of money I pay to attend that class.

I may get to do 7 knee push-ups and 10 air squats holding Soren. Or, I may nurse, hold, and bounce Soren for the entire class. Either way I'm killing it.

No comments: